The CLT, Compagnie Luxembourgeoise de Télédiffusion
Presentation by Jos Pauly, director of operations at the Villa Louvigny, and of technical, human and financial means at the CLT (Compagnie Luxembourgeoise de Télédiffusion), one of the biggest European multimedia empires. The group's headquarters, which until now was at the Villa Louvigny, has just moved.
The Villa Louvigny, the building situated at the heart of the Grand-Duché, in Luxembourg City, was between 1932 and 1996 symbol and a key place for TV and radio in Europe. Its history covers the success and transformations of the CLR (Compagnie Luxembourgeoise de Radiodiffusion, Radio Luxembourg broadcasters) that became CLT (Compagnie Luxembourgeoise de Télédiffusion) in 1955, when Télé-Luxembourg was created.
It was in 1966 that the CLT created the brand RTL which united a number of radio stations and television channels that were broadcasting in French, German and Dutch. The acronym was kept in 2000, with the fusion of the British group Pearson giving birth to the RTL group, managed by Bertelsmann. The biggest European media group, it brings together in 2008 over 40 channels and 30 stations, broadcasting programmes from Spain to Russia. The historical site of Villa Louvigny was sold in 1996.